Thursday, May 21, 2026

April-May Blog: Three Poems Read at Poetry and Prose Open Mic Mother’s Day 10.05.26

Share it Please

 Three Poems Read at Poetry and Prose Open Mic Mother’s Day 10.05.26

Three poems in honor of Mother’s Day 2026


Poems are taken from The Nakedness of New collections published in 2017, Althea Romeo Mark

 





















Hanging Hearts on Clothes Lines

 

I         Wounds

 

I said I was moving to West Africa.

“Gyal done gone lose she sense,

goin’ to de dark continent,”

spat grandmother at my announcement.

 

Speechless, stern-faced mother

penned a letter of scalding words,

questions my motive for moving to

“ dat godforsaken place.”

 

When I put the Atlantic ocean between us,

I didn’t know that doing what I wanted

was launching spears at their hearts.

 

 

II        True Grit

 

I get married and bear three children

“in dat godforsaken place.”

After knock-down bouts with malaria,

I am a broomstick, collar-bone sunken.

 

I relive, thrive in grandmother’s by-gone days—

learn to start a fire, cook and grill on a coal pot,

draw well-water, kneel into the dirt of living.

 

I rub shoulders with peril—

make my own road through the bush

when it is swallowed by flood,

stare down the barrel of soldiers’ guns,

witness the hunt and capture of a pregnant python,

listen to men talk about the potency of its head,

the richness of its large eggs,

escape the jaws of driver ants and

a trap set by “heart-men.”

 

I drive pass my neighbor,

mother of a Bassa chief

and a condemned witch.

She pays penance daily for her deeds,

sits in mud on the roadside

and sustains her bags of bones

with boiled peanuts.

The Caribbean lore about men

gouging out hearts to make sacrifices

becomes real and I learn of new ones—

the danger of lightning throwers, and Nigi river-people

who drag victims down into their underwater world.

 

III      Life-lines

 

Mother’s monthly letters

are smudged with her tears.

she wonders,“Wha’ ah go do if me chile dead?”*

 

A new letter from mother says

“Granny dead three months ago,

didn’ wan’ burden you wid worry,

throw cocobey ‘pon yaws.”*

 

I wallow in the thought

she needs to spare me

from the news of lost loved ones.

 

IV      No Time-warp

 

Anger floods me

when I see mother again.

She is a greying, bent woman.

Who am I angry with? Time?

 

At seventy-two she abandons me,

leaves me an orphan just when

I am beginning to fit womanhood’s cloak.

 











Rope

 

The tug-of-war,

the pulling of  knotted rope,

the stretching ends,

the fraying ends,

fingers red and burning

from holding on,

from waiting to see

who is first to cave.

 

Who will lose their grip?

Mother or daughter?

 

It is not a matter

of winning or losing.

 

It is the Mother who must let go,

reject the temptation to throw a lasso.

 

The falling daughter

will rise into her own.

 

She will carry her mother’s cautions

in memory like a suitcase

filled with clothes,

and take them out to wear,

one by one,

to see how well they fit.

 

Beneath them all—

her own long cord,

the secret binding,

the thickened string,

the rope she, too, will pull

when the tug-of-war comes.

 

© Althea Romeo-Mark

 














Runners in the Marathon of Time

 

To my granddaughters

 

You were the gifts we awaited,

seeds nurtured in love,

brought to us through

the strength of our daughters.

 

Your lives, sung to us by our foremothers,

prayed for in their boundless world,

are the answer to our prayers, their prayers.

 

You come from women who are neither

willing victims nor victimizers.

Our words, passed on through time,

were never weapons of destruction,

but wise pronouncements

steeling minds and backbones.

 

You will witness the majesty, misery,

and mysteries of this world.

We will watch you stumble over obstacles,

observe you slip and slide while scaling walls

put up to hinder your dreams.

 

We, your guardians,

will let you find your way,

oversee the road you take,

allow you to become you.

 

Your lives are our continuum.

You are the torch-bearers of the new generation.

 

We pass the baton on,

blood of our blood.

 

© Althea Romeo-Mark

First Published in WomanSpeak: A Journal of Writing and Art by Caribbean Women, ed. Lynn Sweeting, Vol. 8, 2016

 

 

Althea Romeo-Mark, an educator and writer, was born in Antigua, West Indies, and grew up in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. She has lived and taught in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, Connecticut, and Ohio, USA, Liberia, West Africa, London, England, and Switzerland since 1991. Althea Romeo Mark, who writes poetry, short stories, and personal essays, is the author of two full-length poetry collections, The Nakedness of New and If Only the Dust Would Settle, (English-German), and four chapbooks, On the Borders of Belonging, Beyond Dreams: The Ritual Dancer, Two Faces, Two Phases, Palaver, and Shu-Shu Moko Jumbi: The Silent Dancing Spirit.

Althea was nominated for the Eric Hoffer Book Award in 2024 for her On the Borders of Belonging poetry collection by Kelsay Books publishers 2023. https://www.hofferaward.com/ She was awarded the Vincent Cooper Literary Prize in 2023 for her short story,” Saving Papa Rojas from the Deathbed Flirt.”  It goes to a Caribbean author for exemplary writing in Caribbean Nation Language (a term used by celebrated post-colonial Caribbean author Kamau Brathwaite to describe vernacular language born in the Caribbean).

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I feel your Liberian experience in “Wounds” and “True Grit” Congratulations, Professor Aroma. 👍🏾💯%

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive