Saturday, August 1, 2026

July-August 2026 Blog: European Beach Impressions

Share it Please

 July-August 2026 Blog: European Beach Impressions











I have had the privilege of being invited by my son and his family to join them on several European holidays. Once I know the flight is less than three hours, I can never turn it down. My days of enduring flights of ten hours or more are behind me.

My love of travel was instilled in me by my mother, who took my younger sister and me to visit family on nearby Caribbean islands, including St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Kitts and Nevis, and Antigua. As an adult, I travelled farther afield, visiting Grenada, Haiti, Puerto Rico, and many other countries. My life's journey has also taken me across continents. I lived in the United States, then in Liberia, West Africa (1976–1990), and later in London, England, before settling in Basel, Switzerland, where I have lived since 1991.

My two most recent sunny holidays were to Sardinia and Santorini. Their warm climate, beautiful landscapes, and inviting beaches remind me of home, yet they are less than three hours away by plane. I am not a swimmer; I am a writer. I am content to lie in the sun and watch people, wade into the water to soak my feet, or wander with a camera in hand, capturing the scenery and the mood of the day. Later, I capture those same moments again with pen and paper.

Here are a few poems that reflect my impressions of these places and people who flock to them.
















Watching Hawkers On A Beach in Olbia


On this grey day

when the clouds holds back the sun,

the beach still overflows.

 

A rainbow of umbrellas and tents

cover slow, simmering bodies

on towels and in plastic chairs.

 

I sit in a one, the prison

my son has helped me into.

I am a people watcher

when not reading and writing.

 

Hawkers,  mostly Senegalese,

tramp up and down selling their wares--

towels, plastic balls, dresses, headbands, trinkets…

everything under the sun.

anything they can carry in hand, on head.

 

And there are Senegalese women

selling hair-braiding.

They zigzag between the bodies on the beach

in search of customers,

your choice of braided-style

on a poster they display.

 

At their base, not far

from where I am grounded,

I watch a woman, baby on back,

whose hands dance between strands of hair.

Her zig-zagging fingers, leaping and knotting,

create patterns on a head.

 

If Poseidon got tired of it all,

hawkers and sun-bathers and on-lookers,

he only need to splash his hands.

But the sea shows no sign of his splashing.

 

My eyes glaze over,

watching the hair-braiding---

the quick orchestration of hands,

the flicking and twisting of fingers.

They have put me, in my chair,

and Poseidon, lulling in the frothy surf,

under a spell.















Rooted and Uprooted


I sit in a green chair

rooted in white sand.

I needed a hand

to get into it...

my arthritic knees

painful in the steep bending.

 

From the low seat

the aqua sea is rimmed by the light blue sky,   

hemmed by the white-sanded shore

dotted by a rainbow of umbrellas

shading people in various stages of roasting.

 

The police come by

ordering me in Italian to move

and I try to speak with my hands,

tell them my old bones

cannot uproot themselves.

 

I am saved by a nice man

who heaves me onto my feet

and resettles me into a spot

not on a forbidden path.

 

I am rooted in my chair once again.

and I watch those grateful

to the gods of sun and sea

for browning their bodies

now roasted rare,  medium and well done.

 

(Althea Romeo Mark Sardinia 2025)

 

On The Way to The Beach in Perissa, Santorini

 

We had arrived late at night in Perissa.

 

In the morning, the desert-like terrain unveils itself.

Brown, barren mountains reaching for the sky surround us,

stare down at the dry land.

The wind blows sand and dust in all directions.

Our white hotel stands in stark contrast,

to the brown mountains and blue sky.

 

On the road to main street, the town center,

two piebald horses and a black donkey

stand amid plastic trash in a dry field.

 

Our hearts go out to animals standing in the heat.

A blue container of water is there to quench their thirst.

We wonder where the owners of the branded animals are?

Do they take them home at night?

 

To the left of us, a white church sits in a crevice,

in the bosom of the giant mountain,

a place to do penance, I presume.

Is getting there is part of the penance?

No roads are visible from where we stand.

 

Crossing the main road to the beach,

our ears are assaulted by revved up cars and motorcycles,

the noise testing the strength of our eardrums and hearts.

 

The black-sanded beach appears,

brown, straw umbrellas lining its length.

Tourists are roasting on the lounge chairs.

Some lobster red, some seared brown

like grilled meat at a barbecue,

sun-tan lotion the extra sauce for simmering.

 

The deep blue water invites us to enter.

We put our toes in, then sink in waist deep,

watch blue, yellow and red fish nibble at our legs and feet.

We dip down, feeling like a christening in the Aegean.

We are born again to the luxury of the seaside.




 










"Today, The Wind Is King"

 

White buildings stand against the pale blue sky

amid a swirl of cream sand and brown dust

blown left by the wind.

Subdued trees lean left too.

 

The windy voice mimics waves rushing to shore,

the crashing of water whipping rocks.

But here, there are no waves or rocks;

the sea is far away.

 

An abandoned construction site

bears the brunt of the lashing,

the lasso of sandy dust swirling.

 

Lumber and wires are ripped away in the storm,

their pieces fly off to unknown destinations

on the winds whimsical wings.

 

The brown mountains bear witness to it,

and so do we from the safety of our homes.

 

We stay in when the wind is king.

Let it do its work.

Keep out of its way until it is done venting.

 

 

© Althea Romeo Mark, Perissa, Santorini 2024



Althea Romeo Mark is an Afro-Caribbean educator and writer born in Antigua in 1948 and raised in the US Virgin Islands. While a professor at the University of Liberia, she founded the Liberian Association of Writers.  A mother of three Liberian-born children, she has published If Only the Dust Would Settle, The Nakedness of New, and On the Borders of Belonging. She won the Vincent Cooper Literary Prize (2023) for ”Saving Papa Rojas from the Deathbed Flirt.”

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive